Hi,
Lately, Australia has been calling my name again. There’s just this gentle pull making me check for flights and dream about heading back, even if it’s just for a quick visit! ✈️
Looking back at my time there, I can’t help but chuckle at how much of a culture shock the language was at first. Australian English is an entirely different species! During my first few meetings with my supervisor, I actually had to ask for permission to record our conversations. I was sitting there nodding along, but my brain was desperately trying to process the heavy accent and high-speed technical terms.
Outside the university, things weren't any easier! Wollongong is a lovely, quiet town with a lot of friendly retirees who speak in the thickest, most glorious Aussie accents imaginable. At first, listening to them felt like trying to decode a secret language. But once my ears adjusted, it became so much fun to learn the local lingo.
If you ever head Down Under, here are 5 iconic Aussie slang words that will instantly tell you you’re talking to a local (plus how to use them):
1. Arvo (Afternoon)
A: "Are we still meeting up later today?"
B: "Yeah! Let's catch up this arvo around 3 PM."
2. Brekkie (Breakfast)
A: "I'm starving. What do you want to do for brekkie?"
B: "Let's grab some pancakes and coffee down the street!"
3. Sunnies (Sunglasses)
A: "It is so bright outside today!"
B: "Hold on, let me grab my sunnies from the car before we leave."
4. Servo (Service Station / Petrol Station)
A: "We're almost out of fuel!"
B: "No worries, there’s a servo just around the next corner."
5. Macca's (McDonald's)
A: "Need a late-night snack run?"
B: "Yeah, let's do Macca's run and grab some fries!"
Bonus Phrase: "No worries!"
Warning: This phrase will completely hijack your everyday vocabulary.
"Thank you!" >> No worries.
"Sorry!" >>No worries.
Minor existential crisis? >> Still, no worries! ๐
My secret to learning these slangs wasn't just textbooks or cafes, it was Susan.
For almost two years, I worked for Susan, a lovely lady originally from Tasmania who decided to spend her retirement days in Wollongong. Every week, I’d pop over to her house for about three hours to help with basic cleaning. But truth be told, Susan didn’t really need a helper, she just wanted a companion.
As I moved around cleaning, Susan would follow me from room to room, happily chatting away about her week. I listened very carefully to every story, and that’s where I naturally picked up so much of the local Aussie slang. She lived alone, and spending those weekly sessions with such a kind, gentle lady was an absolute joy. I went there to clean, but I left with a warm heart and a whole new vocabulary.
The funny thing is, no matter how hard we try to use the slang, the locals always know the second we open our mouths that we aren't from around there. But that was the best part! Everyone was always so warm, polite, and genuinely kind. Even as someone who obviously looked different and sounded like a visitor, I only ever experienced warmth and hospitality.
That genuine kindness and memories with wonderful people like Susan is what made Wollongong feel like a home away from home. And it’s the exact reason why I keep wanting to go back today. ๐
No comments:
Post a Comment