Monday, October 5, 2026

Perfectly Unbalanced Life

Hi,

It’s past midnight. The house is quiet, which means my brain has officially decided it’s time to host a loud, fully interactive panel discussion on everything that went wrong over the past week. Classic midnight brain dump hour.

To be fair, I spent the whole weekend grounded at home. My daughter is currently sitting for her very first primary school exam, the infamous Ujian Penilaian Matriks. Since her batch is the guinea pig, I mean, pioneering batch for this exam, the collective anxiety among Malaysian moms right now could power a small city. Naturally, I stayed glued to home base to support her, which mostly involved offering quiet encouragement and hiding my own twitchy eye.

As for my own life? Well, it’s been running on its usual schedule, peppered with a few dramatic plot twists that nobody asked for.

First exhibit: My phone has grown a lightsaber.

Yes, a vertical column of dead pixels has permanently etched itself onto my screen like a glowing Jedi weapon πŸ˜†. It was annoying at first, but manageable until the exact moment I needed to read an important number sitting directly behind the glowing beam of death. Cue the universe telling me, “Girl, it’s been five years. Let it go.” I could technically just replace the screen, but where is the fun in that? We are officially upgrading. Rest in peace, old faithful.

Speaking of tech betrayals, my Microsoft Surface keyboard decided to throw a theatrical tantrum right in the middle of my recent workshop.

Picture this: I’m ten minutes into introducing the session to a room full of people. I’m in my zone, explaining eLearn stuff, and suddenly poof! The keyboard goes completely dark. Zero response. Total rebellion. Mid-sentence, I had to frantically swap machines and spend the rest of the session navigating a completely unfamiliar device while sweating bullets. Did I panic outwardly? Absolutely not. Did I smile like a swan while my feet paddled furiously underwater? You bet. Alhamdulillah, everything went smoothly, but my heart rate definitely hit a personal best.

Over the weekend, I dragged my broken keyboard to Harvey Norman to see if it could be saved. Nope. Just a dead keyboard, nothing else. So, of course, I had to buy a replacement immediately. Ehem, fun fact: I’m actually typing this post on my brand-new keyboard right now. The click-clack feels suspiciously satisfying.

Thanks Harvey Norman! I gave them a call, reserved a set, and drove over to pick it up. 
Easy peasy!πŸ’•

And because the universe loves a triple scoop of chaos, guess what happened on the very first day of lectures last week?

I scratched my car.

Huwaaaa. 😭

My heart practically shattered right then and there.

Anyone who knows me knows I am painfully obsessive about my car. I am the kind of driver who gets actual chest pains if a parking job is even slightly crooked. If a stray leaf looks like it might scratch the paint, I will avoid it. So imagine the sheer, soul-crushing sound of metal scraping against a pillar. I wanted to cry. But class was starting in ten minutes, so I had to slap on my best professional face, walk into a two-hour lecture, and pretend my soul hadn't just left my body.

Every time I look at that scratch now, a tiny piece of me dies inside. But hey, it happened. I can’t un-scratch it.

So, what’s the takeaway from all this tech failure, parental exam stress, and parking lot tragedies?

It’s a gentle reminder that no one lives a perfectly balanced, flawless life. Social media will make you think everyone else is out here glowing, sipping matcha, and gliding through life like royalty. But reality? Reality is us dealing with dying phones, rebelling keyboards, scraped bumpers, and midnight existential crises all at once.

We all have our downtimes. Sometimes they even come in a neat little trilogy.

Right now, I’ve got a new phone, a fresh keyboard, and a car with a brand-new "character mark." As for the scratch? I've decided my new coping mechanism is just waving hello to it every time I walk up to the driver's door.

Here’s hoping my quota of "exciting colors" for the month is officially full. I don't need any more palettes, thank you very much! 😘

No comments: