Friday, January 15, 2010

La Trobe Day 5

Hye there!!

How is it going for you sweetie? I'm all great here.. I didn't even notice that I've been here for a week.. This means that I have only 3 weeks left before I can go back to my hometown..yahuuu!! Well, I have pretty interesting things to share with you today.. As usual, my day started with a big breakfast at 8.30am and BBQ lunch at 1.00pm.. All I can say is, whether I like it or not, I have to train my stomach to accept all those delicious, good looking western foods..uwaaa!!balik Malaysia mmg nak balas dendam makan nasik habis-habisan!!

Back to my activities that have been done today.. We had fun playing bubbles!! Yes, you're rite, bubbles!! The one that little boys and girls would cry for asking their parents to buy it for them when they're having fun at the park..ala, yang main tiup2 tu.. hehe..Don't give that weird look please.. You're wondering where in the world this bubbles thingy are related to mathematics, aren't you? I will explain a lil bit here but don't blame me if you're lost okay..:p

Soap bubble is a very thin film of soapy water that forms a sphere with an iridescent surface. Soap bubbles can help solving complex mathematical problems of space, as they will always find the smallest surface area between points or edges. Minimal surfaces exhibit some intriguing behaviour that, to some extent, we are familiar with from playing with soap films and soap bubbles. There are quite a number of mathematical theories involved, mainly are Geometry of Surfaces, Calculus of Variations, Elliptic Partial Differential Equations of 2nd Order and of course, Minimal Surface. I think, that's enough for the mathematical explanation!! Btw, I'm glad to mention that the lecturer is originally from Greece, Maria Athanassenas. I love to hear the way she speaks in class..Rasa macam tengok drama Latin pulak..=) Now let's have a look on what had been done just now..



2 circular wired-frame interact


Heli-coil

Blowing bubbles!!=))

This is the heli-coil that Maria mentioned in the previous video

2 comments:

MHazrat said...

haha... budak besar main belon air!!!! hihi...

amirah said...

xpe2..yg ni ada kaitan dgn maths..so,xde la npk childish sgt kan..hehe..:p